Wednesday, March 25, 2009

the hug that meant so much

There was this little boy. He had cancer, a very rare form. He had surgery. I was there, I was the resident who saw him when he was diagnosed, I saw him when he had the surgery.

He's cured now.

When he was undergoing chemotherapy and receiving post operative care, he never smiled. He cries when he saw me. His face was sad. It broke my heart. I prayed he would get better.

I read up on him. I understood his illness. I couldn't understand what he felt. He didn't really talk. He was just learning how to talk when he was diagnosed.

Today, his brother has cancer too.

But he, he is well now.

He ran up to me. Gave me a big hug and smiled. He remembered me. He remembered that I was around and he remembered that I cared.

He ran back to his mom then ran back to me.

He gave me a second hug and a big smile.

This..this is what makes my job so worth it.

Even when I cry from time to time when a patient of mine passes away.

No comments: